Thursday 5 November 2009

Ulu Temburong National Park: The Canopy Walk

After having some tea and biscuits, we set out on the temuai (longboat) to the Ulu Temburong National Park where a trail led us to the canopy walk. What started out to be a closed line was broken into small groups with the remaining distance inversely proportional to their stamina.

I rested a little while before climbing up the metal stairway, of 42m in height, that leads to the metal bridge. I was pleasantly surprised by how excited I was climbing up. There was a gentle breeze blowing and the trees were always beside me. It was a wonderful feeling. Though my legs were feeling a little wobbly, the feeling was more enthusiastic than afraid. I paced myself, making sure that I held on to the right beams before I landed my next step. I laughed to myself at how well I was keeping up despite my lack of sport activities for months. Speaking of which, I am surprised C is not sick of me declining gym appointments when he texted me umpteen times already.

Indeed like a green carpet, the jungle looked from the highest point of the stairs. It's amazing we have so much of it and I am so pleased! From green of many sorts, it faded into shades of greyish blue where the sky meets.

While we were rested, someone spotted a group of twigs moving up from below through the gaps of the wooden planked floorboard. Like curious little school children, we gathered around it. Our guide lifted it up in the air and examined it. It was a worm that had built itself a portable home with twigs stuck around its body. It had hidden itself in the ring of twigs when we were all looking so intently at it. Our guide had placed it on the wooden rail and the entire group was waiting for it to reappear.

We got back to the centre just in time for lunch before it started pouring heavily, which led to the postponement of our trip to the waterfall in the afternoon. Lunch was extremely delicious. In the short two days, I have immediately loved the meals provided by the centre. The dishes were so yummy and I especially love them served with gravy.

Heading up the trail


The 21 floor stair tower


Me going up and up...


We've got to climb further up to get to the second section of the bridge


A colleague making his way across the bridge


On top of the world with trees!


Bird nest fern and mould growing on the tree


The trail ended with wooden barriers and warning signs. We had to turn back.


Hmm.. 4 screw holes but only two are filled


The worm feeling shy and hiding in a bunch of twigs the size of a sweet wrapper


It came out and was crawling towards the edge. I got worried when I thought I saw it fall only to be fascinated that it had clung itself nicely to the rail and continued to crawl.


Slippery trail covered with dead foliage



I wonder what is in it


Red fruits?


Bracket fungus


Clear view of the logs in the water


By the river bank


Black bracket fungus


Clothes don't seem to dry in the rain forest due to high humidity. This is the view of the laboratory from our accommodation building.


Living area


Bedroom


Edible red berries with blue flesh


That's how rainforests get their name? It rains a lot here.

No comments: