Thursday 1 October 2009

Bangkok: BS Residence

The insecurity at work plus work itself have driven me a little insane. With the timely mid-semester break of one week coming, I had planned a trip to Laos with my SSEAYP cabin mate from Singapore. However, due to some miscommunication, I had thought the trip was not going to happen and arranged a trip with Japanese SSEAYP mate to Myanmar instead. When I realised the Laos trip was actually still happening, all the bookings to Myanmar had already been made. Sigh. I'm glad that V's still making the Laos trip happening with her cousin.

On 20th September 2009, I started packing on the morning of my departure day. Life seems so numb to me these days. I keep doing the things I do and only come to be truly aware of all that's going around at a later occasion. Like this Myanmar trip, for instance. A few weeks back, we were busy making the bookings and applying for the visa. Now, I cannot seem to recall and re-invoke that same feeling of excitement like when we were running these errands. And, there was that strange feeling of unfamiliarity and indifference as to how I got myself going on a trip like this in the first place. I must not be making any sense. Sigh.

Anyway, I had some time to spare after packing and getting ready. So, I continued watching the anime season I was trying to finish before the trip. Dad, as usual, would be rushing me though it was still early. Also, the norm now with all airport journeys with Dad, he was teasing me about our misadventure during my last trip to Tibet, if I'd forget something and make him rush like a mad man again.

Our trip this time should be exciting. We haven't got our itinerary planned but I've jotted down a list of places to visit with reference to Lonely Planet Myanmar. Somehow, nature had our trip all sorted out and it came to be like this:

20 Sept: Arrival in Bangkok
21 Sept: Visit to Grand Palace and Emerald Temple
22 Sept: Arrival in Yangon; Visit to Battotaung Pagoda, Independence Monument, Immanuel Baptist Church, Sule Paya, Bengali Sunni (Sunne) Jameh Mosque
23 Sept: Moseah (Musmeah) Yeshua Synagogue, Chaukhtatgyi Paya, Ngahtatgyi Paya, National Museum, Gems Museum, Kandawgyi Lake, Bogyoke Aung San Market, SOS International Clinic and Shwedagon Paya
24 Sept: Going to Bago: Taukkyan War Cemetery, Kyaik Pun Paya, Gaung-Say-Kyan Paya, Mahazedi Paya, Arnandar Pagoda, Shwethalyaung Buddha, Shwegugale Paya, Maha Kalyani Sima, Shwemawdaw Paya, Snake Monastery, Sule Moni Paya
25 Sept: Going to Thanlyin & Kyauktan: Portuguese Church Ruin, Yele Paya, Padagyi or Padaywa Nga-Htat-Gyi, 100 Nats temple, National Races Village
26 Sept: Back to Bangkok; Shopping at MBK and Major Ratchoyothin Market
27 Sept: Fly back to Japan/Brunei

We stayed in BS Residence. We chose this hotel because it is just 3km away from the Suvarnabhumi airport and they offer free shuttle service to/fro the airport. The taxi fare to city center costs about 217 baht which we thought is ok for the both of us. They charge about USD19 a night for an ensuite twin bedroom. They've just opened last year. The room is cosy and clean, they have a nice garden and their complimentary breakfast was not bad; sausages, some bacons, toasts and eggs with free flow of coffee, tea and Milo. They have massage services; 300 baht an hour and 500 baht for two hours for Thai Massage and 600 baht/hour for Oil Massage. There is a market right outside where street food is easily available and a 7-Eleven store is about 5 to 10 minutes walk away. Check their website and hostel world for more details.



Sunset as plane is about to land in Suvarnabhumi Airport. When I saw this, immediately I was thinking ANIME and superpower laser beams!


Our beds


The room


Bathroom


Shower


Yes, the snack bar includes a condom at the price of 60 baht, if I remember correctly. Both R and I were so amused by this! This is the first time I'm seeing this!


Magical shower cap?


No comments: