Thursday, 4 March 2010

Brunei poisonous fungi in our garden

A little section of our garden is paved with large cement tiles where a rotting log was cultivated with two fungal species.

First, Split Gill fungus (Schizophyllum Commune), which is a fan-shaped fungus that thrives in decaying wood. It is said to cause diseases in humans. Published in several papers, this fungus has been stated to cause lung disorders.

According to Tom Volk,
"the fungus had grown through the soft palate of a child's mouth and was actually forming fruiting bodies (mushrooms) in her sinuses!!!"
Links on Split Gills:
Wikipedia on Schizophyllum commune
Mykoweb on Schizophyllum commune
Tom Volk's Fungus for the Month February 2000

Split Gills growing on a decaying log

Pycnoporus sanguineus fungus is poisonous and is a plant pathogen. It is also called Red Fungus because of its reddish fan-like plates. In Sarawak, they call it Kulat Bungkang. Both the Split Gills and Red Fungus are bracket fungi. While several websites describe the fungus as poisonous, described its medicinal values.

Links on Red Fungus:

Red Fungus in our garden

The false parasol or green-spored parasol is the common name for Chlorophyllum Molybdites because they look like the edible parasol mushroom. False parasol are poisonous and can be easily mistaken for the edible parasol mushroom. They are commonly found in the lawns. Like the split gills, they have gills on the underside of the parasol.

Links on the false parasol mushroom:

The false parasol mushroom in our garden

No comments: